The Power of a Retweet: How Twitter Can Take Your Content Viral
Today’s guest post comes from Lianne Froggatt, Digital Communications Manager for Ideasbynet.
Twitter: an increasingly powerful online medium that can do wonders for your business. Since its start in 2006, Twitter has been constantly growing and evolving, with more people joining every day.
Retweeting – the act of reposting another person’s status update – is a popular Twitter feature, but one that’s often underutilized by small business owners and solo entrepreneurs marketing themselves via social media.
How can you utilize this medium to stimulate conversation and drive more traffic to your site? First, let’s explore the benefits of retweeting other people’s content.
The Benefits of Retweeting Other People’s Content
Engaging with other users is key when developing a social media profile. Looking to engage with influential people in your niche or potential customers for your company? Retweeting them is a brilliant way to develop that initial contact.
Retweeting indicates that you deem what they have to say important or interesting enough to share with your own followers. It also shows that you are engaging with what they saying. They may therefore be more inclined to engage with you in return.
Retweeting useful or interesting information to your followers will also create a greater interest in your profile. Rather than your profile simply being a tool for self promotion, it will be an interesting and useful source of information for your followers, encouraging greater interaction and involvement with your potential customers or clients.
Now that we’ve explored how retweeting other people’s updates can improve your social media marketing, let’s look at two key benefits of having your own content retweeted.
The Benefits of Being Retweeted
The most obvious and important benefit to being retweeted is the promotion of your Twitter account (and by default your website). If your content is deemed interesting or important enough to be retweeted then you will be seen to be influential and knowledgeable. Your content will also be seen by a much wider audience of potential customers.
Your followers are not only giving you promotion but they are in effect endorsing your company to their own followers and associating themselves with you. Personal recommendations are extremely powerful social proof when deciding on products or services and a retweet can be a wide-reaching and important recommendation.
Unleash the Power of a Retweet!
So, how to harness the power of this medium? Retweeting other people’s content is a good start. Just make sure that you retweet information that is useful, important or interesting for your followers. Encouraging retweets of your own content is a little trickier. Here are a few tips to help encourage retweets of your content.
1. Run competitions. When someone retweets your content they will be entered into a contest, this method is all over twitter and definitely increases engagement with your profile.
2. Make sure what you say is interesting! Simple I know, but you won’t achieve retweets if you have nothing of interest to say!
3. Include interesting links. This will give extra benefit to anyone that retweets you; they are sharing more information than just your 140 characters.
4. Tweet your most interesting content between 3 and 6 p.m., when statistics show that people are most likely to retweet your content.
What content are you most likely to retweet? How have you convinced others to retweet your own content? Let me know in the comments section below.
8 Responses to The Power of a Retweet: How Twitter Can Take Your Content Viral
- Brain Sex: Five Things You Must Know About Gender and Marketing
- How to Create a Blog Schedule, with Free Templates
- Seven Ways Your Website Makes Baby Jesus Cry
- Copywriting From the Heart: Free Workbook
- The Small Business Blogging Blueprint: Free 55-page eBook
- How to Make a Social Media Marketing Plan